silver hoardings

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

PQ Canyon west end. 01/11/11





The Lost Clan and I are working on the PC Hall of Fame Challenge and only have a few at the west end to find to complete the challenge, in fact TLC has less than me to find as one of the hardest is WAR and she found that years ago! Our trail to the few caches we need is a bit unconventional and we use a trail head with a cache that TLC found using google maps. The sign said that it was a viewpoint but we thought we knew better and followed the trail to the edge of the canyon and a fence, opps! Not to be put off we explore a bit further but can not find a legal way down so we ducked under the fence, I must admit to being more worried about the ranger catching us off the trails than falling over on the muddy track. (there were no signs on the fence) We followed a steep and slippery trail to the bottom of the canyon, around another short fence and a sign facing away from us says 'Keep to the trail'. An easy cache we are after is right there and we quickly sign it and moved on.

Now on to WAR. I knew it was tricky but when I saw the trail my resolution wavered and as TLC had already found it I gave her the option, well me the option, not to proceed, my that trail was steep but TLC was not having me chicken out and led the way! Very nice camo and worth the climb.

TLC and I had both loaded our pocket queries for the canyon last night but two more caches had been published this morning, seems to be a theme lately, so we had an extra two miles round trip added to our plan. We decided to go for the furthest one first so we would have something to look forward to on the return trip. We were slightly hoping for FTFs but you have to get up really early around here to get those! We got to The Long Gone Bridge and spotted a little red bus toy wedged in some branches, this had been left by the CO as a ftf prize, so we were still hopeful. I spotted the cache really high in the tree and although there were some 'steps' we are not tree climbing sort of girls. After a moment or two's foolishness, climbing the 'steps', we well I, decided to take a chance and dislodged the cache with my stick and luckily it fell where TLC could reach. Sadly we were not FTF but someone had found it 30 or so minutes before! We signed the log and managed to reposition the cache. It's a shame that it was a micro as this area could hide an ammo can really easily.

The second new cache was in a bush, again fairly high above the canyon floor and took us quite a while to find. The cache name 'There used to be a bridge here somewhere' gave us pause as we were nowhere near the water but we checked if it had been found on my iphone and sure enough the ftfinder had logged it without comment, so we carried on searching. Methodically searching, we circled the bush until I was almost to where TLC had started and BINGO there it was, bigger than I expected but well camoed.

We have decided not to go back the way we came but to take an official trail up to the mesa which passes by one of my caches so we stop to check it out and also to catch our breath. Back at the top we don't have as far to the car as I thought and we are soon there.

We decide to have a break and stop at a Starbucks but TLC forgot our plan and directs me to a parking lot that has has a couple of caches in it, she certainly has a one track mind when it comes to caching! We find the caches and go on to Starbucks. We are all set to carry on but our earlier climbs have worn us both out. Just one or two more we discuss but as I left the parking I got into the wrong lane and could not get over, oh well it seems that we are done for the day after all! It wasn't meant to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home