silver hoardings

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

PQ Canyon west end.south side 01/12/11 and 12 of 12 for Jan.12

Birthday cake

Staircase for challenge

Slippery slope with my shadow

Deep canyon looking straight down.

Another pylon

View across canyon floor, where we cached yesterday.

Industrial buildings.

PQ canyon looking east.

Cooper's hawk looking westish.

Towards the sea.

Snow covered mountains in the very far distance! Mount San Jacinto

Eye sore of dumped mattresses.


So as our caching day ended abruptly yesterday TLC and I arranged to continue today. I had, however, forgotten that it's my beloved's birthday, opps! But as he's going to work I thought I was safe, too much geocaching is discouraged! Any how plans are made but he is not really a happy bunny this morning.

TLC and I are on a quest to find the last one for her PQ Hall of Fame Challenge, Spider Wasp's Lair and it is well deserving of the high terrain rating but not so much the difficulty rating, thank goodness! We had found the trail head yesterday so knew where we need to park. We made our way down yet another steep and slippery trail, the recent rains have eroded the trail in places and in some places the ground has subsided, I have visions of the ground giving way under our feet and causing a mud avalanche to the bottom of the canyon taking us with it! But although it is like walking on jelly sometimes, we make it to gz. The power lines are making our numbers jump around and lead TLC astray but I carry on a bit further and we realise we have a little further to go and with a bit of bushwacking TLC finds the cache.

I remind TLC about a couple of photo challenges that we try to do are posted so we are taking lots of photos. We can see the steep trails that we took yesterday from over here and walking along the trail to another cache we can see a long way along the PQ canyon. We can see the glittering sea to the west and snow covered mountains to the north, I think they are the Mount San Jacinto Range. As we walk I see a rufous sided towhee, humingbirds and a Cooper's hawk perched in a tree.

Our third cache has been placed near a heap of discarded mattresses which is rather sad to see up here. We don't want it to be there so it's the last place we look but sure enough it's under the mattress, yuck! Such an eyesore. We walk to the end of the ridge but the view is not so great here as the eucaliptus trees block the way. So we turn to retrace our steps back to the car. TLC thinks that this trail would sustain another cache and we look for a suitable place for an ammo can. We need to check there are no puzzle caches up here before making a final decision.

Mr S phones me to let me know he has decided to take the day off work and suggests we have lunch out to celebrate his birthday. TLC and I were only going to be out for a short time today so we choose 2 more quick cache and dashes and make that 5 for the day.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Erika Jean said…

    Love the picture of the bird in the tree!

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Pete Cullen said…

    Now that is a very tasty looking birthday cake, I hope it was nice.
    And wow what a small world you having an uncle in Brockenhurst :) Glad you enjoy the pictures of close to home.

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Mary Ellis said…

    Hey, there! Thanks for stopping by my first blog! I thought 12 of 12 was fun, but I learned a lot from you today - I learned about geocaching. I did a bit of research, and determined that this sounds like a LOT of fun!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home