silver hoardings

Saturday, January 29, 2005

find a cache tomorrow!!

We went geocaching for the first time in ages today but sadly did not find one of the caches we looked for called Under the Mistletoe. It was in a beautiful little canyon in the midst of houses and offices, with a stream flowing along, still quite strongly after the recent rain. In fact you could see that the area had flooded and several trees had been brought down by the torrent that must have flowed through earlier this month. It was a multi cache so we followed the clues and put in the new co-ordinates for the two waypoints and were pretty sure we were in the right place. There were signs that the flood had impacted the area we were searching so to make doublely sure we were in the right place I decrypted the clue. 'About eye level, in the branches of a tree with lots of mistletoe.' Well our tree matched the description and clue but we could not find the cache. I was very disappointed but we decide to carry on and go for one nearer home.
Slither, this one was called and I suspected from the previous logs that snakes would play an important part in the find. It was almost a park and grab but for a very steep embankment which S climbed easily but I could not get up. I tried to go around but could not find another way up without considerable bushwacking, so I contented myself with shouting instructions from the road side, the cache being only 20feet or so up this steep embankment. I called out, 'look out for a snake!' and S found it and tossed it down to me. Clever but only a micro so not big enough for the TB I had. Suddenly I was very fed up with the whole geocaching thing, I signed the log and tossed the snake back up to S. Shall we go on to the other one up here, he asked but I was in a grumpy mood and said I would prefer to go home. So we did. I can't believe how not finding the earlier cache upset me. I must be taking the game too seriously!! It took me 2 hours to get over it!! S said the best way to cure the geo grumps was to get back out there and find a cache tomorrow!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home