silver hoardings

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

hot tub

I can't believe it! I've had another Simongesque experience!

I got home this afternoon looking forward to another quite time for ironing and other domestic goddess type duties. I made my lunch and watched The Saint and then went to the bathroom to wash my hands, no water! I went to look out the front door to see if they were digging up the road outside and lo and behold, dangling from the door handle a 'notice of water cut off'
I took in the notice and read the fine print............ due to non payment, blush, how embarassing.
I had sent the check (yes American spelling of cheque) yesterday for this month and last month too as I had lost the bill and had not realised that it had not been paid until receiving the current bill.
No other reminder had been sent and I did not know they cut you off after only 4 weeks late!! I phoned the water office and told the girl I had paid but nooooo that was not enough if I wanted the water back on I had to go to the nearest office and pay in person.

I eventually found the office and the line of people waiting to pay the one person there was quite long. While waiting I had time to read more notices. No Cash accepted, that was lucky I was going to pay by check anyway. I looked in my handbag for said checkbook. Oh no, I had left it at work!! So I left the long line and drove to work, picked up my book and returned to the payment office. The line was longer!!

As I waited and got closer to the front I heard the cashier tell the person at the front "you won't forget to phone the head office and tell them you've paid"
The next person she told the same, I looked wildly at the bill, where's the number, not on the receipt so I hastily wrote it down as I wanted the water to be turned on asap! I paid the bill, deciding against making any angry comments. When I got to the car I used our cell phone to make the call using the number I had written, once I had calmed down I looked at the reciept the phone number appears 4 times on the reciept!

When I got home S was waiting by the door of the garage, I had hoped to be able to get the water back on before he found out but I was too late. I had popped into Vons to get some bottled water for our tea. The water was not turned on before 5:00 so that means it won't be back on until tomorrow. In the meantime we are using bottled water to drink and wash in and the water from the hot tub to flush the loo!
Thank goodness for the hot tub!!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Scott Johnson said…

    HOT TUB? Oh, no. You've been in California too long and the smog is turning you into a Californian.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home