silver hoardings

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

serendipity

I was listening to the local public broadcasting service on the radio on my way to do a little last minute Christmas shopping and they were doing an article on the way people talk on their cell phones.

People tend to talk louder when on a cell phone than when on a normal phone. This is because when phone were originally invented people had to sometime shout to be heard so when the service improved the phone companies had to find a way to stop the shouting, they did this by causing an echo type sound so one knew how loud one was talking but they didn't bother to do this for the cell phone user.

This is similar to the way people shout when the are listening to music on headphones, some how the brain thinks 'I am listening to loud music so must tell voice to shout so I can be heard' even thought we 'know' that the person we are talking to can hear our normal voice! Anyway the point of this is when I got to the bookshop where most people talk in hushed voices as if in a library, a woman in front of me was talking VERY LOUDLY on her cell phone, I wonder if she knew just HOW LOUD she was!! I like it when this sort of serendipity happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home