silver hoardings

Saturday, December 11, 2004

stargazing

We went up to the Laguna mountains to do some stargazing this w/e. We also found 4 caches along the sunrise highway, all easy drivebys! At one there was someone already searching, I could tell by the GPS in his hand and the fact he was walking under the viewing platform. As I approached I called out "nice day for geocaching" He looked a little startled and I thought I recognised him but was not sure but as soon as he introduced himself I realised that the last time we had met we had been looking for a tricky cache on the sea to sea trail during the desert geocache campout and had spent half a day out on the trail together!! What fun to bump into him again so unexpectedly!! He found the cache and we signed in and he went on his way.

S and I went back to the lodge and S fell asleep for an hour!! Then we went to the stargazing site and met Rob & Sarah. It was a beautiful evening and the sun had just set, there was not a breath of wind and the sky was clear. S set up his telescope and rob help syncronise it and got it to do the night sky tour which was fun. There were a lot of 'shooting stars' and a comet to see tonight. we also saw Saturn (again) and Rob took a great photo of Orion's Nebular just below Orion's Belt. I made sure I was warm by wearing 2 pairs of trousers. 2 t shirts a sweater and my coat! I also wrapped myself up in a sleeping bag to sit and stargaze, well prepared, for once!!


1 Comments:

  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Yay for star-gazing! And for meteors, too! I used to be a member of a local Astronomy club: for meteor showers, we'd get our sun longers out on Portsdown Hill and record (using dictaphones) our sightings (including magnitude, approximate RA/Dec. and so on. Later, at about 4 a.m., we'd collate our findings in the clubhouse over hot chocolate. Splendid stuff! :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home